Friday, June 19, 2009

Adventures

Jimmy said to me the other day that it sure is going to be tough when I go back to work and fun mornings with mommy are replaced with Barney, snack, & juice with daddy snuggling in bed. Awww, come on, they LOVE that too! (I know I do!!) Peanut is waking up every morning and asking, "Where are we going today?" OR with the inquisitive, "Adventure today?" Pretty funny the standard that I've somehow set in the few weeks I've been off work for summer vacation. Hey, I must be doing okay if the kid thinks every day is going to be an adventure upon waking!

The big goal around here right now is potty training for Peanut who is now 2~ and she's doing quite well at it. The first 2 days were rough- more accidents and holding her pee until nap time when she excitedly exclaimed, "Pull up, I'm so happy to see you!!!" I've read so many things about potty training & it seems the advice is all so conflicting (and then there's my own mother's advice- apparently I was some kind of pottying wunderkind & was easily potty trained, day & night, significantly before the age of 2. I think time may have faded the memory of her potty training struggles!) I sensed that Peanut was stressed at the underwear only approach & I was stressed at the thought of leaving the house with her in underwear only, so we're doing a combination underwear at home, pullups at nap/night and out of the house till she gets better at it. On day 3 I guess she finally figured I wasn't going to let her have her beloved diapers back and I stopped asking her if she needed to go to the potty and just started saying 100x/day, "Let me know if you have to use the potty"~ and VOILA! She started asking to go & actually doing something on there!! Woo hoo!! She's also gone out in public on her special folding potty seat (love that thing!)- resulting in a run across the WalMart a few days ago with her yelling, "Here we come potty, here we come!!!" at the top of her lungs. I just didn't make eye contact & concentrated on getting there as fast as we could. She made it there dry & peed in the potty. Woo hoo again!! It's just amazing to me how riveting another person's bodily functions can be once you're a parent. Peanut has also stopped asking for treats (this must just be a gift from God, he must know I don't need another thing to have to wean her off of!) Apparently wiping, carrying the pot, emptying it, flushing the big potty & saying, "Bye bye pee pee!!", then washing hands with special purple "Barney" soap, & replacing the pot is enough excitement for her (or all those steps require so much concentration that she forgets there was once a prize of 2 skittles involved the bribing her to go in the first place). I am absolutely wiped out at the end of the day from all this potty training business. I think it's really more about if the parent is willing to commit to the pain in the butt, time consuming, patience testing experience that potty training is than if the child is ready! I will survive...and then I only have one more to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment